Home.
Bin Collections.
Bits & Pieces.
Business Links.
Clubs/Societies.
Community Orchard.
Contacts.
Memorial Hall.
Parish Council.
Parish Portal.
Planning.
Skate Park.
Street Map.
The Village.
Walks.
Where's That.
Weather & Travel.
Wooly News.
Terms & Conditions.
Contact Us.
© Woolaston Parish Council 2013
The Village
About Woolaston The village of Woolaston is in Gloucestershire and is located adjacent to the A48, about 4 miles south west of Lydney and 5 miles north east of Chepstow. The village is in a pleasant rural location with easy access to the Forest of Dean, South Wales and Bristol.
Historically, records of Woolaston go back to the 10th Century, and indications exist of earlier settlement. While no Lord of the Manor has ever been resident, Woolaston has passed through the possession of Tintern Abbey, the Crown and The Dukes of Beaufort. The population of Woolaston did not vary significantly until the middle of the 20th Century.
Today the central village area has almost 300 households and a current estimated population of around 750. The population of the whole Parish of Woolaston is now about 1500.
As the village survey 2002 confirmed, many of the working population travel out of the village for their work. 20% within 15 miles radius but another 20% much further.
Woolaston may be more of a dormitory than it was, but residents are content to spend most of their leisure time within their village or close by.


Local Services
Local services in the village consist of a shop, Post Office and three public houses. In addition there is a new Community Centre the Woolaston Memorial Hall, next to a substantial playing field and a children's play area. The Gloucester to Chepstow bus route and a number of other local buses serve Woolaston. Both the railway stations in Lydney and Chepstow are a short distance away.

Woolaston Schools
Woolaston has its own primary school, originally opened in 1862 and located in the main village area.  To see the school website click HERE (opens in a new window).  For secondary school education, Woolaston is served by school buses for Wyedean School in Sedbury, Whitecross School in Lydney and the Royal Forest of Dean College. There are also Independent Schools in Chepstow, Cinderford and Monmouth.

Woolaston Churches
Woolaston has two churches, the Parish Church of St Andrew lying centrally in the Parish somewhat over a mile from the centre of the village, and a smaller Methodist Church. The earliest record of St. Andrew's church at Woolaston is in 1131. However, the old circular churchyard and the nearby Roman Road which ran just to the north-west of the church suggest a much earlier holy site.  Items of note in the church include the west window (c1300), the trussed rafter nave roof and font (possibly c1400) and five bells dated between 1500 and 1775.


Local Government
Woolaston has a local Parish Council with seven councillors. It is within the area administered by the Forest of Dean District Council. The Forest of Dean district is one of six districts within the county of Gloucestershire, under Gloucestershire County Council. For information on the role of Woolaston Parish Council click HERE. Information on the range of public services provided by all levels of local government within Gloucestershire may be found on the Gloucestershire County Council Web Site HERE (opens in a new window).

Woolaston Charity Lands
There are three areas of land in the village, commonly known as The Charity Lands, that are administered by charitable trusts.  Details of the Charity Lands and their associated trusts can be found if you click HERE.

Woolaston or Netherend?
The Parish of Woolaston has a long and varied history. Originally, the centre of population for the Parish existed around the Church, centrally within the Parish. As time has gone by the centre of population has migrated close to the edge of the parish boundary to the area still marked (incorrectly) on older OS maps, as Netherend which is in fact the name of the road through the village from the A48.
©2009 Tele Atlas, ©2009 Getmapping plc,  ©2009 Google